Maybe it’s because one of my clients is planning a big kitchen remodel. Maybe it’s because I watch altogether way too much HGTV. Whatever the reason, I’ve been thinking about all the great options are available to you, if you’re planning a Louisville home remodel.
Great Ideas in Kitchen Appliances
Some of the newest ideas involve upgrading appliances to state-of-the-art versions of our daily kitchen workhorses. There are high-end ranges, refrigerators, and more from companies like Jenn-Air, Sub Zero, Wolf, Dacor, and Gaggenau.
These incredible products do more than simply look good, they out-perform the average appliance, albeit at a higher price tag. If you spend a lot of time in the kitchen, do yourself a favor and investigate these incredible kitchen appliances.
In case you didn’t know it, there are also a good number of space saving appliances if your kitchen needs a smaller refrigerator or dishwasher to fit the remodeling plan. The internet is full of great ideas!
Great Ideas in Kitchen Countertops
Countertops are always of interest to potential buyers of Louisville real estate and today’s choices are plentiful. Below are the main categories with estimated price ranges for each.
- Laminate – Most popular and comes in a multitude of colors, patterns, and prices. Less expensive than you might think. Price: $10 to $30 per square foot, installed.
- Natural stone – Very popular material, especially at the higher end of the price spectrum. Granite and marble are the most common but slate, limestone, and sandstone are also interesting options. Price: $40 to $100 per square foot, installed.
- Solid surface – There are a number of companies that specialize in this category, most notably DuPont with their Corian line. But there are more growing annually as home buyers seek out green solutions to their countertops. Products like EnviroGLAS tout their green heredity. Price: $35 to $80 per square foot, installed.
- Ceramic tile – Huge number of color options and a great option for do-it-yourself homeowners. Ceramic tiles are also easier to repair. Price: $10 to $30 per square foot, installed.
- Other great options – Butcher block ($40-$65), concrete ($80-$120), stainless steel ($120-$160).
Great Ideas in New Kitchen Products
Innovators are creating imaginative new products. Take, for instance, the combi-steam oven seen above. It may not be a product for every household but for the chefs among us, having a high-end cooking tool like this available in their own home would be a dream come true.
Designers are finding new ways to “hide” current products and make them blend into the background. First came the warming drawers like these from Wolf. So the next, natural choice would be the cooling drawers, right? These mini-refrigerators that can be built with cabinet drawer facings to give the whole kitchen a very cohesive, clean look.
And don’t forget about appliances for wine storage. These deluxe systems have all the bells and whistles for any kitchen remodel, you just have to pick and choose the right ones for you.
Investing in Your Home
Keep in mind that no home remodel will average a greater return amount than what you spend. Every so often a particularly savvy designer may but that’s the exception rather than the rule.
In our region, the National Association of Realtors (NAR) survey for 2009-10 says that a major kitchen remodel with mid-range quality ingredients should return 72.9%, while a minor kitchen remodels will return a 76.8% return on investment.
Using upscale ingredients, the homeowner can expect a 63.9% return on a major kitchen remodel.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.